|Location||Hong Kong, St. Joseph's Church|
|Builder||Blackett and Howden|
|Specs||Unknown, but probably 2 manuals|
|Action||presumably electro- or tubular-pneumatic|
This Blackett and Howden organ, probably with two manuals (and without reed stops), was installed in 1919 in St. Joseph’s Church, Garden Road, Central, which served the British Catholic community. The organ was “donated by the parishioners as a thanksgiving for peace.”
The organ was removed when the church was torn down in 1966-67. With the pipes and console packed in 19 cases, in early 1972 it was offered to the Hong Kong government with the idea that it could be restored and placed in the City Hall Concert Hall. As this would have required closing the hall for some time, the government at first considered rebuilding it in the as-yet unfinished Cultural Centre in Kowloon (which eventually received a four-manual Rieger, HKG1989), and sat on the project for eight years.
At the end of 1980, after negative reports from German organ builder Detlef Kleuker (1922-88) about options for rebuilding the instrument, it was declared an “unserviceable store” and thrown away. Futher details, including the specs, have not yet come to light.
For information about Fr. P. Antonio Riganti PIME (1893-1965) and his organ compositions written while he was serving at St. Joseph’s, see the July 2019 Updates on What’s New.